Sunday, April 12, 2015

George Coble

I thought I would continue the idea of my last post and go with another Patriot that is not a direct ancestor of me or my husband. George Coble is in my husband's tree, but he is not in my husband's line. NOTE: I have not researched this family very much yet, so a lot of the information that follows is based on other people's research. I have not been able to prove or disprove any of it myself beyond what I site below.

George Coble was born 10 May 1733 in Germany. I am unsure when he or his family immigrated to America, but I assume it would have been at least before George got married since he married a Virginian.

George married Maria Barbara Glass. She was born 4 April 1735. (Rumor has it her mother was a Coble too.) 

George died 21 June 1816 in Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina. He is buried at Cobles Lutheran Cemetery in Julian, Guilford County, North Carolina.
George Coble tombstone
Added to Find-A-Grave 2 April 2010 by David
George is a proven Patriot in the DAR database. As with Richard and Jacob, George was granted his Patriot status because of "patriotic service." His source of service is from the same record too: "North Carolina Revolutionary War Army Accounts." I really need to get a hold of this book since so many of our relatives appear in it!

I don't know much about George or his families' occupations or trades, so I can't even venture a guess as to what kind of "services" George could have "rendered" in support of the Patriots. In general, I know relatively little about my husband's Coble line (his great-grandmother was a Coble). They mostly lived outside the county where most of my husband's family lived, so they tend to get left out of a lot of my research attempts on his family.

George and Maria had (at least) the following children:
  • Dorothy Coble
  • Philip Coble
  • Mary Coble
  • Paul Coble
  • Jacob Coble
  • Peter Coble
  • Molly Coble
  • Frederick Coble
  • John Nicholas Coble
As I mentioned earlier, I haven't researched this family much myself, but here's what I've so far tried:
  1. I attempted to find a will for this family and could not.
  2. I attempted to find any Revolutionary War-era records that could list children and could not.
  3. I have not found a record of him serving in the War yet or mentioned in a pension. (Since he is listed in the DAR as giving "patriotic service," the likelihood of finding previously undocumented military service is low but possible.)
  4. I have not found a land record, patent, or deed for him in either Virginia or North Carolina.
These attempts were all done online, so of course any non-uploaded records that may still be in existence need to be checked. I also still need to research the (potential) children and see if I can find any records for them which would tie them back into either parent. Also, obviously the Daughters who have joined under George had proof of at least their own line(s), so I still need to look at their applications and see what sources they provided for their applications.

As of this writing, Daughters have joined the DAR under the following children of George's:
  • Philip Coble (only one member has joined under Philip, and she is the most recent applicant to join under George)
  • Paul Coble (five members have joined under him)
Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment